In the spirit of Halloween and my love of baking, I decided to enter the "Booo-tiful Halloween Cupcake Contest" hosted by a blog I like howtoeatacupcake.net. My friend Angie was hosting a Halloween party, to which she suggested we bring goodies, so I figured it was a good excuse! I wanted to create something unique with fall flavorings, so I started pondering all my favorite fall foods and I came up with the following:
"Frankenstein Brain" Cupcakes
(AKA Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting)
1/2 c. butter
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. sour milk or buttermilk
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. finely grated zucchini
1 (6 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add oil, eggs, vanilla and sour milk; beat well.
- In another bowl combine cinnamon, cloves, flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Slowly add dry mix to liquid mixture.
- Add zucchini and chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Pour into muffin tins.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 3/4-6 1/4 cups powdered sugar
sifted 1/2 cup butter, softened, not margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, cinnamon and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add about half the powdered sugar and beat until mixed well.
- Gradually add the remaining powdered sugar until you reach a spreading consistency.
The final product:
I am very happy about the way they turned out! A few people (AKA Brad) were a little afraid of zucchini, but for the most part I got really great reactions! Even if I don't win the contest it was really fun to be creative! Not to mention enjoy a sweet treat!