Saturday, December 13, 2008

On the 2nd day of baking...

Day 2 -


My "little sister" Christy makes these INCREDIBLE cookies that I finally stole the recipe for. Since I love them so much it was only fair that they made it into the 12 day baking marathon. I must admit, I was a bit afraid of the idea of sour milk going into anything tasty, but I am an avid fan of these cookies (even though I don't really like butterscotch), so I followed the recipe. Christy says if you don't sour the milk the cookies will be too sweet.

German Butterscotch Jumbo Cookies

1 1/2 cp. milk
3 tsp. vinegar
2 cps. sugar
1 cp. shortening
2 eggs
4 cps. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 bag (12 oz.) butterscotch chips
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. sugar


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a small bowl combine milk and vinegar. Let sit 5 minutes for milk to sour.
  • In a large bowl, mix together sugar, shortening, vanilla and eggs.
  • In another small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
  • Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and the milk to the wet bowl.
  • Add butterscotch chips and mix well.
  • Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
  • Mix together cinnamon and sugar topping; sprinkle on each cookie.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 13 minutes.

Notes of Interest:
--- The cookies are SO moist and delicious, but truthfully I would add more butterscotch next time. The cookie can handle more.
--- I don't believe these cookies have any true German origins. I believe they were named as such because Christy would make them for her German class in High School!

No comments: