Friday, March 6, 2009

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies...

As I mentioned in a previous post, one of my co-workers is a celiac (AKA allergic to wheat), so he complains bitterly whenever I bring baked goods into work as they always have flour in them. I have told him for some time that if he purchased some gluten-free flour I would bake for him.

He has experimented with many different "flour" combinations, but none of them really tasted right. (Truthfully I think they have tasted pretty nasty) The other day after one of our many gluten-free discussions, I was searching the internet and ran across Jules' Nearly Normal All-Purpose Flour and was very intrigued as all the reviews said it was used cup for cup as normal flour, and people truly couldn't taste a difference. Thus, my co-worker ordered a ton of it and delivered me a 5 lb. bag to play with yesterday.

In trying to decide what the best thing to try first would be, I figured the ultimate test for cookie would be the original Nestle Toll House cookies. I was a tad worried when the dough was REALLY sticky (perhaps I should have added more of the flour), but the dough tasted good (a great start!). My only real complaint is that the cookies spread really thin, making the chips look like giant craters, and they were very light and fragile. However, the taste was great! I've saved a few for Brad - we'll see if he can tell that they are gluten-free!


A guy at work said they looked like giant poop cookies... though he still ate them (and liked them).

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I use this flour too!! Works great--for tollhouse cookies (my favorite :) ) just add a little less liquid and they won't spread out so thin. I add 1 1/2 eggs instead of 2 and add 1 extra TBS of flour and they turn out even better! In muffins and quick breads, no need to adjust recipes--delicious!